By default, WordPress displays your most recent posts on the front page of your site. But many WordPress users want to create a static front page or landing page for their website to give it more of a traditional website feel. Let’s walk you through the steps to set this up.
Step 1: Create Your Pages
First, you’ll need to create two new pages. One will become your static homepage, and the other will serve as a placeholder for displaying your posts.
- In your WordPress dashboard, go to Pages > Add New.
- Give this new page a title like “Home” or “Homepage” and then add the content you want for your static home page.
- After adding your content, click on the Publish button to publish the page.
- Next, create another new page (like you did above). You could call this page “Blog” or “News.” Don’t worry about adding content to this page; WordPress will automatically populate it with your most recent blog posts.
- Click on the Publish button to publish your blog page.
Step 2: Set Your Homepage and Blog Page
Now that you have created your pages, you can tell WordPress when and where to display them.
- In your WordPress dashboard, go to Settings > Reading.
- In the “Your homepage displays” section, choose the A static page option.
- From the Homepage dropdown menu, select the “Home” page you created in Step 1.
- From the Posts page dropdown menu, select the “Blog” page you created in Step 1.
- Click on the Save Changes button to save your settings.
And there you have it! You’ve now set up a static homepage for your WordPress site. Visitors to your site will now first see this page instead of your latest posts. If they want to see your posts, they can click on the link to your blog page. This setup gives you more control over the first impression you make on visitors and can help guide them to your most important content.